Every year, I anxiously await the arrival of peach season...juicy fruit kissed by the summer sun and picked at their peak of freshness! This season is so fleeting that I am forced to stuff so many peach laden desserts into a short period of time, which in turn causes splitting seams and THEN I am forced to exercise more...it really is a vicious cycle!!
Sweet, juicy peaches tucked into a light, flaky crust...Summer Fresh Peach Pie is definitely worth another lap around the block!
To make this seasonal delight, you will need a double crust (unbaked) pie shell (homemade or store bought), granulated and light brown sugar, cornstarch, about 8 or 9 good sized fresh peaches and butter ( Optional ingredients: an egg wash to brush on top of crust and you can also add some cinnamon and nutmeg to your fruit filling if you wish...I don't use any because I like the taste of fresh peaches in this pie).
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees and prepare your pie pastry in a 9 inch pie plate (you will need a double crust for this recipe...use either homemade dough or store bought crust)...then in a medium bowl, combine 2/3 cup of granulated sugar, 4 tbsp.'s of corn starch..
2 heaping tbsp.'s of light brown sugar...
...and stir to combine...set aside.
Next, peel and slice 8 or 9 good sized fresh peaches...
...then pour the sugar mixture over top of the sliced peaches,
...and stir to combine.
Dump the peach mixture into the bottom prepared (unbaked) pie shell...
...cut up 2 tbsp.'s of cold butter and dot them over top of peaches,
...place the top crust over peaches, then crimp edges to seal.
Brush top crust with an egg wash if you wish (I used a mixture of 1 beaten egg white and 1 tsp. of water), then sprinkle some granulated sugar on top...
...cut slits in top crust (which will allow steam to escape while it bakes). Place pie onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil (to catch any juicy drips) and bake in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes...
...or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool slightly on a wire rack.
Serve warm with some vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or you know what, it is pretty darn good all by itself! You just can't go wrong with sun sweetened peaches in this old fashioned dessert! Enjoy!
Summer Fresh Peach Pie
1 double crust pie shell (homemade or store bought)
8 or 9 good sized fresh peaches, peeled and sliced (about 5 cups)
2/3 cup of granulated sugar
2 heaping tbsp.'s of light brown sugar
4 tbsp.'s of corn starch
2 tbsp.'s of cold butter, cut into bits
egg white wash (1 beaten egg white and 1 tsp. of cold water, beaten)
cinnamon & nutmeg to taste if you wish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Prepare your pie crusts and place one crust into a 9 inch pie plate.
3. In a medium sized bowl, combine the cornstarch and sugars, then pour it into the bowl of sliced peaches...stir to combine.
4. Dump the peach/sugar mixture into the bottom (unbaked) pie crust, dot with the cold butter pieces, then cover with top crust. Crimp edges to seal, brush with egg white wash (if using), sprinkle with granulated sugar and cut slits into the top.
5. Place pie plate onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or tin foil and bake in the preheated 375 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and cool slightly on a wire rack...serve warm (or cold is delicious too!)
* oven temperatures may vary
* note: I have not made this pie with frozen peaches but if you do, I would think you might need to partially thaw the peaches first and drain any accumulated juice...I will try it and report back!