Blueberry & Almond Crunch Streusel Bars
Blueberries are definitely one of my favourite fruits and whenever I can sneak these berries into a dessert, I jump at the chance! When I was a kid, I used to head up to the hills and go pickin' with my Uncle and even though it was stinkin' hot and tedious work, it was worth every parched and dehydrated minute!!
These Blueberry Almond Crunch Streusel Bars are packed with blueberry goodness and are perfect with a cup of tea or even as a fly out the door quick breakfast bite...actually, they are pretty perfect anytime!
To make these fruit filled bars, you will need: all purpose flour, old fashioned rolled oats, baking powder, dark brown sugar (light is fine too), salted butter, fresh (or frozen) blueberries, blueberry jam and dry roasted almonds.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees then melt enough butter to equal 1 cup. Next, in a large mixing bowl, add 1 & 3/4 cups of all purpose flour, a 1/2 tsp. of baking powder and 2 cups of old fashioned rolled oats (you can also use the quick oats but the texture is nicer with the old fashioned variety).
Add 1 cup of packed, dark brown sugar (light brown is fine too) then stir to combine.
Next, add 1 cup of melted (salted) butter...
...then stir with a fork until the mixture resembles large crumbly bits.
Press the oat mixture (reserving 1 & 1/2 cups for the top) into a 9 x 13 " baking pan that has been lined with parchment paper (with enough paper hanging over the sides that you can use as handles to lift the cooled squares out of the pan).
Bake the bottom crust in your 375 degree oven for 12-15 minutes...remove from oven and set aside on a wire rack to cool a bit while you make the filling.
In another bowl, combine 2 cups of fresh blueberries (if using frozen berries, don't thaw)...
...and 3/4 of a cup of blueberry jam...mash the berries slightly (or leave berries whole if you choose).
Spread the blueberry mixture evenly onto the warm bottom crust.
Coarsely chop a 1/2 cup of dry roasted almonds (I used unsalted)...
...and toss them into the reserved crumble mixture, then stir to combine.
Sprinkle the reserved crumble that has been mixed with almonds onto the top, pressing down very gently.
Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown!
Cool then lift out of pan by the parchment "handles" and cut into bars...or cut squares from pan while still warm if you have a patience problem!
Blueberry Almond Crunch Streusel Bars
1 & 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
2 cups of old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup of dark brown sugar, packed (you can also use light brown sugar)
1/2 tsp. of baking powder
1 cup of melted, (salted) butter
1/2 cup of dry roasted almonds, chopped ( I used unsalted)
2 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries (if using frozen, don't thaw)
3/4 cup of blueberry jam
1. Preheat your oven to 375 then line a 9 x 13 " baking pan with parchment paper (with enough hanging over the sides for "handles").
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder and brown sugar...stir to combine.
3. To the flour/oat mixture, add the melted butter and stir with a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Pat some of the crumble mixture (reserving 1 & 1/2 cups for the top) into the bottom of the baking pan and bake for about 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for a bit on a wire rack while you make the fruit filling.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the blueberries and jam...mash berry mixture slightly with a fork or potato masher (or leave berries whole if you choose), then spread filling evenly over top of warm crust.
6. Coarsely chop the almonds and add to the reserved crumble mixture...stir to combine. Sprinkle over top of fruit filling and press down slightly.
7. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown...cool on a wire rack, then remove from pan using the parchment paper handles...cut into bars...or serve squares warm right out of the pan...enjoy!