Pickling, Preserving AND a Giveaway!!
Not that many years ago, canning and preserving was a way of life for most people and a necessity for a lot of families to get through the winter....for me, it just wouldn't be fall if my counter tops weren't loaded with bowls of prepared fruits and vegetables and there must be steaming pots of vinegar brine and the smell of spices wafting from my kitchen windows!
A lot more people today are taking notice of what they are eating and questioning where it comes from...with so much of our food being genetically modified, sprayed with a cocktail of dangerous chemicals, processed, prepackaged and precooked, I often wonder what's next...pre-chewed??!! If that is the case, I may need to pack up my family, walk into the woods and never come out!!
Luckily, we don't all need to become the Swiss Family Robinson's, we have options!! Nowadays, there seems to be a movement of getting back to our roots and making our own food...with so many groups forming and focusing on homesteading, growing fruits and vegetables on parcels of land or even rooftop or balcony gardens, there seems to be lots of resources available to get started!
Local pre-picked or "pick your own" farms are open in almost every town and offer a wide variety of seasonal produce...
...farmer's markets are also another excellent option to pick up local fruits and vegetables that are at their peak of freshness and perfect for "putting down" in jars to line your pantry shelves!
Wild edibles and orchards yield plenty of produce for jellies, winter fruit for muffins and pies...
...and of course, a cinch to make, homemade apple sauce!
Whether you are an old pro at preserving or if you have always thought about trying your hand at it, I am offering a GIVEAWAY today that just might be right up your alley or make getting started much easier!!
One lucky winner, will receive this Home Canning Starter Kit containing: a 21 quart preserving kettle with rack and lid, a 4 pack of jelly jars, a handy jar lifter, a canning funnel, a magnetic metal lid lifter, a bubble remover and head space gauge, a box of pectin, an instructional DVD and a recipe booklet!
All you have to do to enter is follow the rules below...Good luck!! (This draw is now closed)
1. Simply type in your first name and your email address (with or without a comment) in the spaces provided in the "comments" section at the bottom of this page. Your email address will not be made public...only I can see it, **providing that you don't add your email address to the box where your name or comment goes...there is a separate box for your email address**
2. If you do not enter an email address, your entry will not be considered as it is necessary for me to contact the winner.
3. You do not need to be a subscriber to win, anyone may enter.
4. The winner will be randomly drawn on Sunday, July 23, 2017 at noon...the winner will be contacted by email for further shipping details.
5. Only one entry per person, thanks! :)
6. Good luck!!
* This promotion is subject to the Laws of the Province of Ontario and the Federal Laws of Canada as applicable. The selected entrant will be required to correctly answer a (very easy) skill testing question to qualify for the prize.
Official Rules and Regulations
1. This contest is sponsored by The Rustic Wife
2. The chance of being selected in the prize draw is dependent on the number of entries entered during the contest period.
3. All contest entries are the property of The Rustic Wife and none will be returned. Entries which have been obtained or made through fraudulent means or which are illegible, altered, reproduced, mutilated, or irregular, are subject to disqualification. The Rustic Wife will not be responsible for entries lost, destroyed, misdirected or delayed for any reason whatsoever, or for any incorrect or inaccurate capture of information, technical malfunctions, human or technical error, visual or printing errors, or garbled data or transmission, omission, interruption, deletion, defect or failures of any telephone, computer line or network, computer equipment, software or any combination of thereof. All decisions with respect to this contest are final. The Rustic Wife does not accept any responsibility, in whole or in part for loss, damage or injury how so ever caused in connection with the prize or the conduct of the "Bernardin Home Canning Starter Kit" Giveaway.
4. The Rustic Wife is not responsible for commencing, continuing or completing the “or awarding prizes" in the event of circumstances beyond The Rustic Wife control, and may, at it's sole discretion, change or alter this contest, as deemed necessary.
5. These Official Rules and Regulations govern this promotion and must be followed, and by agreeing to participate in the promotion, all entrants agree to comply with, and be bound by these Official Rules and Regulations.
6. All references to times and dates reflect Eastern Time.