Ice cream has always kind of been my "thing"...a family thing really...my brother and I used to have "roll in the dirt" fist fights over it and I would cut grass and work after school on the neighbour's farm, just to blow all of my hard earned money when Mert, the ice cream man would come around! Times haven't changed much, except now, I might try to control my portions a little. These easy to make ice cream sandwiches definitely make "controlling yourself" difficult though!
These do it yourself treats only require a few ingredients, time and preferably homemade cookies.
First, crush about 2 cups of M&M candies...
...and place in a fairly shallow bowl...set aside.
On two sheets of overlapping waxed paper (each piece about 12-14 inches long) scoop out the vanilla ice cream...
You will use roughly half of the container for the first ice cream log.
Roll the ice cream up in the waxed paper, forming a log...repeat steps using more of the remaining ice cream.
You will end up with two logs of ice cream...place each in a Ziploc bag and place in the freezer for several hours or preferably overnight to firm up.
Remove ice cream logs from freezer and using a sharp knife, slice into 1-1/2 to 2 inch discs...
Place each slice of ice cream on one cookie, using a second cookie as the "lid" and lightly squeeze cookies together to spread the ice cream out evenly, squishing it out the sides a bit...this is what the crushed M&M's will stick to.
Roll the ice cream in the crushed candy pieces...
...until thoroughly coated.
Repeat steps for each sandwich and place on a tray in the freezer while you work on the rest. Once all of the sandwiches are made and frozen, remove from freezer and wrap securely in waxed paper or plastic wrap. The sandwiches taste best when left overnight in the freezer. The best part about this recipe is that it makes enough for everybody...you won't have to roundhouse your brother to get one!! Enjoy :)
"M&M" Ice Cream Sandwiches
1 container (about 2 litres or quarts) of good quality vanilla ice cream (don't use one that is labelled "Frozen Dessert"...it's made with all modified milk ingredients and stays too soft)
2 dozen homemade cookies, I used my Slice 'n Bake M&M Cookies
Plain m&m candies (about 2 cups)
1. Crush about 2 cups of M&M's and place in a shallow bowl...set aside.
2. Next, scoop half of the 2 litre container of ice cream onto waxed paper...form it into a log and wrap up securely...repeat steps with the remaining ice cream.
3. Place ice cream logs in the freezer until firm...remove from freezer and using a sharp knife, slice into 1-1/2 to 2 inch discs.
4. Place one slice of ice cream on one cookie, then top with the second cookie to make a sandwich. Squeeze gently so that the ice cream squishes out the sides a bit...roll the ice cream in the crushed candy pieces and place each sandwich on a baking sheet and put in the freezer to firm up before wrapping in waxed paper or plastic wrap.
* Makes 12 ice cream sandwiches