"Luck o' the Irish" Jell-O Jars
Since it is March 1st., I thought I would get a head start on my St. Patrick's Day posts and make these festive Jell-O cups...and because Isabel and I wanted to eat the jelly powder!
These Jell-O jars are very easy to make, but a little time consuming since each layer needs to set up before moving on to the next. You will need: 10 (250 ml.) jam jars (there are only 6 showing in the pic but you will need 10), purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red jelly powder, boiling and cold water, heavy cream (35%), granulated sugar and vanilla extract...(you can also use Cool Whip but if you take the whipped cream in the aerosol can route, no matter what anyone tells you, it is not rude to spray a bit in your mouth)...and finally, foil covered chocolate "coins".
First, empty each Jell-O flavour into 6 separate bowls...
Pour 1 cup of boiling water into each bowl, whisking until the Jell-O granules have dissolved.
Next, pour a 1/2 cup of cold water into each bowl and stir.
Starting with the purple Jell-O, divide the liquid evenly into 10 jam jars (I dumped the liquid jelly into a pitcher...makes it easier to pour with less mess...if you are making these with children, you may not want them learning "new" language if you spill it everywhere!).
Once you have the first layer of Jell-O divided among each jar, place the jars in the freezer for about 8-10 minutes or until firm...repeat steps for the blue, green, yellow, orange and finishing with the red layer on top (make sure that each layer has set before continuing onto the next).
Whipped cream "clouds" : in the bowl of a stand mixer (or using electric beaters), whip 1 cup of heavy cream (35%)...
...with 3 tbsps. of granulated sugar and 1 tsp. of vanilla extract...
...until light and fluffy.
Pipe (or spoon) the whipped cream on top of each jar...
...and place 1 gold "coin" on top (I picked these foil covered chocolate coins up at the Bulk Barn...I wouldn't recommend using real coins but hey, that's just me).
Serve these pretty little cups for St. Patrick's Day or just because! Enjoy :)
"Luck o' the Irish" Jell-O Jars
10 (250 ml) jam jars
1 box each of purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red Jell-O powder
1 cup of whipping cream
3 tbsp's of granulated sugar
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
10 foil covered chocolate "coins"
1. Empty each box of Jell-O powder into 6 separate bowls.
2. Pour 1 cup of boiling water into each bowl, stirring until the jelly granules dissolve.
3. Pour a 1/2 cup of cold water into each bowl and stir.
4. Starting with the purple Jell-O, divide it evenly into each jar...place jars in the freezer for about 8-10 minutes or until layer has set.
5. Repeat steps for each flavour of Jell-O, ending with the red. Make sure each layer is set before adding another.
6. Once the last layer has set, whip the cream...combine 1 cup of heavy cream (35%), the sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy.
7. Pipe whipped cream on top of each Jell-O jar and place a foil covered chocolate coin on top.
Serve right away or store in the fridge until ready to use...Enjoy :)
* makes 10