Peanut butter and chocolate to me, is like Bonnie & Clyde, peas & carrots...shampoo & conditioner...they just work well together! Then, add "Rice Krispies" to the mix and it's like music to my ears! These rich, chewy squares have all of that and more and will leave you wondering just where the heck they have been all your life!
Them there are my teeth marks in that square (I said that with a Texan accent)...I couldn't help it! They are so simple to make and so good...a dangerous combo since you might be making them a lot!
To make these delectable little dynamos, you will need "Rice Krispies", brown sugar, peanut butter, corn syrup, milk chocolate chips and a bit of shortening.
In a medium saucepan, add 3/4 cup of packed light brown sugar,
...3/4 cup of peanut butter, (I use the smooth kind but if you want to take the racy route, use chunky!)
...and 3/4 cup of corn syrup.
Set saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally until peanut butter melts and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside for about 7-10 minutes allowing it to cool down slightly (allowing the mixture to cool slightly, keeps the cereal crisp...I found that out the hard way).
In a large bowl, add 3-1/2 - 4 cups of "Rice Krispies"...(If you like your squares extra chewy, use 3-1/2 cups of cereal, if not use 4 cups).
When peanut butter mixture has finished cooling slightly, pour it over the cereal.
Using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, mix until the cereal is completely incorporated.
Spread the mixture into a parchment lined 8x8" or 9x9" baking pan and set aside (allow some of the parchment paper to overhang the sides of pan...you will use this as "handles" to remove squares from pan when set).
In a small, microwave safe bowl, add 1 cup of milk chocolate chips and 1 tbsp. of shortening (such as "Crisco").
Microwave on medium power for 1-2 minutes or until some of the chips look like they have begun to melt...
Stir until smooth...
...pour melted chocolate over top of the peanut butter/cereal mixture,
...evenly spread over the top and out to the corners. Let sit for several hours until the chocolate has set or place in the fridge for about a 1/2 hour if you simply can't wait...that's the road I took!.
When chocolate has set ,lift squares out of pan by the parchment paper...
...and cut into squares. You may need to keep a wet cloth handy to wipe the knife blade between cuts to create a nice clean edge on your squares...I'm picky that way...presentation, ya hear?
Store squares in an air tight container on the counter, or in the fridge if you are a fan of ripping out your fillings! Lol!
Chewy Peanut Butter "Krispie" Bars
3-1/2 - 4 cups of "Rice Krispies" (3-1/2 for extra chewy bars or 4 for less chewy)
3/4 cup of light brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup of peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
3/4 cup of corn syrup
1 cup of milk chocolate chips
1 tbsp. of shortening (such as "Crisco")
1. Line an 8 x 8" or 9 x 9" baking pan with parchment, allowing extra to overhang (you will use this as "handles" to remove the squares from the pan).
2. In a medium saucepan, set over low heat, add the peanut butter, corn syrup and brown sugar...stirring occasionally until peanut butter melts and the sugar has dissolved.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly for about 7-10 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, add the "Rice Krispies"...when peanut butter mixture has cooled somewhat, pour it over the cereal and stir until all is combined.
5. Scrape mixture into the baking pan and set aside.
6. In a small bowl, combine the chocolate chips and shortening...put in the microwave at medium power for 1-2 minutes or until some of the chips begin to melt...stir until smooth.
7. Pour chocolate evenly over top of cereal mixture...smooth out into the corners. Let chocolate set before removing mixture from pan and cutting into squares.
Store in an airtight container on the counter...Enjoy!