During the summer, I seem to gain weight...I can't imagine why since all I want to eat is ice cream! It really doesn't help matters when I make this decadent hot fudge sauce and then I'm forced to put it on ice cream...and since I don't plan on giving up these foods, I will just have to excercise a bit more...I think that is a fair trade!
This hot fudge sauce is also great drizzled over cake, brownies (with ice cream incidentally) and a good dip for strawberries...or just spooned out of the jar and eaten by itself (then I wonder why my jeans are tight)!
To make this velvety fudge sauce you will need: heavy cream (35%), corn syrup, granulated sugar, salt, unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 bar (100 grams or 3.5 ounces) of good quality dark chocolate, unsalted butter and vanilla extract.
In a small, heavy bottomed saucepan, set over medium/low heat, combine 1 cup of heavy cream,
...a 1/3 cup of granulated sugar...
...and a 1/4 cup of corn syrup, then whisk until mixture is smooth.
Once the cream mixture has heated up and is starting to bubble around the edges of the pan, add in a 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder and an 1/8 of a tsp.of salt. Bring to a gentle boil and whisk until sugar has melted, cocoa powder is incorporated and mixture is fairly smooth.
Turn heat down to low, break the chocolate bar into pieces then add to the cream mixture, stirring constantly until the chocolate melts.
Next, add 3 tbsp.'s of unsalted butter ( I use unsalted butter as the salted seems to add a slight bitterness to the sauce)...
...and 1 tsp. of vanilla extract.
Stir until butter melts and mixture looks smooth and silky.
Pour into a mason jar for convenient storage.
Serve warm over ice cream, cake, brownies AND ice cream or use as a dip for fruit...delish!!
Hot Fudge Sauce
1 cup of heavy cream (35%)
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup of corn syrup
1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 bar of good quality dark chocolate (100 grams or 3.5 ounces) broken into pieces
1/8 tsp. salt
3 tbsp.'s of unsalted butter
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
1. In a small, heavy bottomed saucepan set over medium/low heat, combine the heavy cream, sugar and corn syrup...whisk to combine.
2. Once the mixture has started to bubble around the edges of saucepan, whisk in the cocoa powder and salt until smooth. Continue to heat until mixture begins to boil and the sugar has melted.
3. Turn the heat down to low and add in the chocolate pieces, stirring until melted and smooth. Add the butter and vanilla extract...stir until butter has melted and sauce is smooth and velvety.
4. Remove from heat and pour into a 500 ml. mason jar for convenient storage. Store unused sauce in the fridge.
* Sauce will keep well in the fridge for a couple weeks...It doesn't last that long around here anyways!
* This sauce will solidify once it has been in the fridge but it will return to it's liquid state once it has been heated up again...to reheat this sauce, place the jar (without the lid) into the microwave and heat on low for a minute at a time (until it reaches desired temperature), stirring well after each minute interval. If you don't have a microwave, set jar of sauce (with the lid loosened) into a saucepan of water...the water should reach halfway up the jar...simmer over medium heat until the sauce has reached desired temperature. Remove pan from heat then carefully remove jar from hot water, stir sauce and serve.
* Makes about 2 cups or 500 mls.