These potato wedges sprinkled with herbs and roasted in the oven, are such a cinch to whip up that you will wonder why you don't make them more often...unless you are a carb watcher and wouldn't be caught dead with potatoes in your house OR, you already do make them often and are thinking "listen lady, I've been making these since you were knee high to a grasshopper!!"...either way, this is my version and they are good, so there!
To make these wedges, you will need 4-5 medium potatoes (I used Russet), vegetable oil (or liquid oil of choice), ice water, garlic powder, (missing from photo, onion powder and corn starch), thyme, rosemary, paprika, salt and pepper and paper towels to dry the potatoes.
First, preheat your oven to 425 degrees, then peel and slice the potatoes into wedges...
...put the sliced potatoes into a bowl of ice water and let them sit for about 30 minutes (this process removes some of the starch from the potatoes and helps them become crispy when roasting...or so I read somewhere!).
While the potatoes are soaking, mix up your spices and corn starch in a small bowl and set aside.
Next, dry the potato wedges on several layers of paper towels.
Add about 2 tbsp's of vegetable oil to a large bowl, then toss in the sliced potatoes.
Sprinkle the spice mixture over potatoes...
...then toss until each potato is coated with oil and spices....I just used my hands because I was too lazy to go and get a large Ziploc bag to shake them up in!
Dump wedges onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in your preheated oven to roast for about 25-30 minutes...
Remove from oven and flip each wedge over then continue roasting for about 10- 15 minutes more...
...until both sides are golden brown and crispy. Place potatoes on another layer of paper towels (to absorb any excess oil).
Serve immediately with ketchup, ranch dip or mayonnaise (I say "yuck" to the last option but that's just me gettin' all opinionated!)....Enjoy!
Seasoned Oven Roasted Potato Wedges
4-5 medium potatoes (I like Russet for these wedges)
2 tbsp.'s of vegetable oil (or liquid oil of your choice)
1 tsp. of salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. of thyme
1 tsp. of rosemary
1/4 tsp. of ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. of paprika
2 tsp.'s corn starch (this helps make the wedges crispy)
large bowl of ice water
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees then, wash, peel and slice potatoes into wedges and let them soak in a bowl of ice water for about 30 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, combine the spices and corn starch and set aside.
3. Drain potatoes then place them on several layers of paper towels to dry.
4. In a large bowl add the oil then the sliced potatoes...sprinkle the spice mixture over top then toss mixture with your hands or shake it up in a large Ziploc bag until wedges are coated with oil and spices.
5. Dump wedges onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes....remove from oven, flip each wedge over and place back into the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes or until both sides are golden brown and crispy.
6. Remove from oven, place potatoes on paper towels to absorb any excess oil and serve immediately...enjoy!
* oven temperatures and cooking times may vary.
* this recipe has been revised adding corn starch to the spice mixture...I found coating the wedges with dry corn starch helps crisp up the outside of the potato.