Nothing says "home" like a good chicken pot pie and during the colder months, I seem to crave "homey", comfort foods like this, that are loaded with all the fixins' !
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees, then in a small saucepan, over low heat, melt a 1/3 cup of butter...
While the butter is melting, mince 1 small onion and 1 small clove of garlic...add to the melted butter, turn the heat up to medium/low and saute for about 6-7 minutes or until onion is tender.
When the onion is tender, add a 1/2 tsp.of salt, a 1/4 tsp. of pepper and sprinkle a 1/3 cup of all purpose flour over butter mixture...
...and quickly stir until flour is incorporated.
Next, gradually add 1-1/2 cups of water...
...stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth (you will want to stir quickly so the flour does not form lumps as you add the water)
Next, add 2/3 of a cup of milk,
...and 1 tbsp. of instant chicken stock mix (such as "Knorr")
Stir mixture over medium/low heat until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl...(p.s. those lumps that you see are the onion and not flour lumps...honest!!)
...add 1 cup of frozen peas and 1 cup of frozen corn (not thawed),
1 cup of chopped carrot (if using frozen carrots, add them in unthawed, if using fresh, I like to boil them for about 7-8 minutes or until they are not quite cooked through...they will continue to cook and become tender when baked in the pie).
Finally add about 2 cups of cubed, cooked chicken...
Stir mixture until all is combined then using a rubber spatula, scrape into an unbaked pie shell (I used a 10 inch pie plate)...
...cover with another piece of unbaked pastry, crimp edges and cut slits in the top to allow steam to escape while baking. Place on a foil covered baking sheet (to catch the drips) in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 40-45 minutes...
...or until crust is golden brown...remove from oven, place on a wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes before serving...Enjoy!
Down Home Chicken Pot Pie
1 unbaked pie shell, double crust
1 cup of chopped carrot (boiled until almost tender)
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
2 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces
1/3 cup, butter
1 small onion, minced
1 small clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/3 cup of all purpose flour
1-1/2 cups of water
2/3 cup of milk
1 tbsp. of instant chicken stock mix
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan, melt butter, add in the minced onion and garlic and saute until tender.
2. Add in the salt, pepper and flour, stirring constantly.
3. Next, gradually pour in the water, again, stirring quickly to avoid lumps. Pour in the milk and the chicken stock mix...stir until combined and until the mixture starts to thicken.
4. Remove from heat, pour into a large bowl and stir in the peas, carrots, corn and chicken.
5. Scrape into an unbaked 10", deep dish pie shell, cover with another piece of unbaked pastry, crimp edges and cut slits in the top to allow the steam to escape.
6. Place pie on a foil covered baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
* Note...if you prefer a "saucier" pot pie, reduce the amount of vegetables from 3 cups to 2 cups.