More often than not, you will find my family rooting around in the woods, hiking with a camera in tow or paddling down a river somewhere taking in the beautiful scenery and local wildlife...but, before I step one toenail out the door, you will find me in the kitchen packing a bag full of snacks!
These protein bites are perfect to take along on any excursion because they are not only delicious and taste like cookie dough, but they are actually healthy...well, healthy-ish since I added chocolate..and dark chocolate is good for you, right?! That's what all the magazines are saying, so there!
... and besides, how can you go wrong with peanut butter, oatmeal, honey, dates and crispy rice??!!
To make these quick and easy treats, you will need: all natural peanut butter, honey, dates, oats (I used quick oats but large flake will be good too!), crispy rice cereal and dark chocolate.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spread 1 cup of oats onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Toast in the oven for about 10 minutes until they have tanned slightly in colour and they smell nutty...watch carefully as you do not want to over toast your oats...over toasted oats, are simply a kitchen faux pas!
Once done, remove from oven and set pan on a wire rack to cool.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of all natural peanut butter (make sure you stir the oil into the peanut butter as all natural has a tendency to separate),
...a 1/4 cup of liquid honey,
...and a 1/2 cup of chopped dates.
Next, pour in the toasted oats,
...and a 1 cup of crispy rice cereal.
Chop up enough dark chocolate to equal approximately a 1/4 cup then add it to the rest of the mixture.
Stir the mixture together until all is combined.
If the mixture is sticky, have a small bowl of water beside you to dip your fingers into...this helps you roll the protein bites into balls without it sticking to your hands.
Continue dipping your fingers in water and rolling mixture into balls...Place protein bites onto a parchment or waxed paper lined baking sheet and place in the fridge until set.
Store the peanut butter bites in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week...or freeze for later use...if they make it that far!
Crispy Peanut Butter Protein Bites
1 cup of quick or large flake oats (toasted)
1 cup of all natural peanut butter
1/4 cup of liquid honey
1/2 cup of finely chopped dates
1 cup of crispy rice cereal
1/4 cup of finely chopped, dark chocolate
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Toast 1 cup of quick or large flake oats for about 10 minutes or until they start to smell nutty.
3. Remove from oven and place pan on a wire rack to cool.
4. In a large bowl, combine the peanut butter, honey, chopped dates, finely chopped chocolate, crispy rice cereal and toasted oats.
5. Stir with a wooden spoon until mixture is incorporated then roll into balls. You may need to dip your fingers in water as you roll the mixture into balls...this will stop it from sticking to your fingers.
* store in an airtight container in the fridge
* makes about 20-22 protein bites
* you can add in coconut, chopped apricots, cranberries, flax seeds...the sky is the limit with these healthy no bake bites!